A Real Loss

Those that have read my post in my other blog, Messages from Krypton, know that last month I lost my partner of 12 years, Pete.  I've not posted here since before he passed away, but thought I should try to put something up here.  

Pete was my best friend, lover, critic, sounding board, and beyond that, the reason I got out of bed every day.  Literally.  I've never been "bright eyed and bushy tailed" in the morning.  Pete used to bring my first cup of coffee every day to help me peel my eyes open.

Now, this blog is mostly about technology and politics, not my personal feelings; that's why I have the other blog.  But Pete was such a huge part of my life that I can't NOT acknowledge his passing here.

I'm still in the "numb with shock" phase of grief.  I keep hoping I'll wake up and this will all be a bad dream.  But every day that goes by I become more sure that he isn't coming back.

I've often said, since my first partner died, that, "the last words you say to someone could really be the last words you say to someone."  Never has this been more true than my last interaction with Pete.

After making him some soup to drink/slurp (he'd just had oral surgery), he said to me, "You take good care of me.  I love you."  I hugged him and said, "I love you, too."  The next day he was gone.

Folks, be kind to one another.  We're all here for too short a time and we only get our family and friends for what amounts to the blink of an eye.  And then they're gone.

Comments

Popular Posts